Monday, November 23, 2009

I can't bring the family out here w/me, but I can bring my favorite foods they make!

I didn't want to miss out Dad's pickled eggs, he makes them every Thanksgiving, so I pulled out the recipe he gave me and got to work!

3 Cans Red Beats 1 1/2 Cups white vinegar 3 tbsp Salt 1 1/2 cups sugar 3 tbsp Pickling Spices 1 Large onion (Sliced into rings) 18 eggs (Hardboiled and peeled) In medium size sauce pan mix red beat juice, vinegar, salt, sugar, and pickling spices. Heat to a boil. In large jar put in onions, then beats, then eggs. When sauce boils, pour over top of onions, beats, eggs...let sit for 2 hours, then refrigerate. Best to let sit/soak in fridge for 1 to 2 days ...

I can NOT wait to taste them! I hope they taste like Dad's! Here were my steps today ...

Step 1: Pull out badly written recipe - from my newly made recipe binder. Use Morse code to figure out and wonder to self who Karen Shumate is ~ my dad's name is William. Snip. Pull. Tug. Begin.

Step 2: Remove rather large dog from kitchen so I can walk back and forth from counter to counter. Open w/can opener. Pour. Measure. Stir.

Step 3: Scream at kids AND dog to get out of the kitchen. Use sauce pan big enough so you do not have to wipe off pink splatter marks for the next 4 weeks. Mix. Boil.

Step 4: Screw it and mix all together - I'm sure it will turn out in the end. Throw pans in sink. Wash hands. Wipe pink splatter from face. Pick up hair balls that pulled out of dog when stepped on. Call in kids to apologize for the wicked witch that yelled at them over something they won't even eat. Sit and wait.

0 comments: