Sunday, September 28, 2008

WARNING Magnetix Toys / It happened to us!

Last night Jake and Kris were playing with their Magnetix Toys and Jake decided stupidly to put one of the balls in his mouth. (He said it was his snake food) Well, he swallowed it.

He came and told me what had happened...I looked at him in kind of shock, I mean he IS 9 years old, I shouldn't have to watch him play, he KNOWS better! Even knowing better, it happens and it did happen to Jake.

He was breathing fine, not choking and said it went down real easy. I called Frank, and he advised me to just watch him closely. He said it should pass sooner or later. I also decided to call Jake's pediatrician...she advised me to take him into the ER for an Xray, they need to make sure it is not stuck, if stuck, he'll need surgery to remove the ball.

I then started Googling (that word needs to be in the dictionary) and was shocked at this website I found. WARNING MAGNETIX. I can NOT believe the kids that have died from these same toys! The ones that swallowed 2 or more pieces had to have surgery, some have died...the ones, like Jake, 9 x's out of 10, passed the balls anywhere from 2 days to a month.

Jake was under my care when this happened ~ I feel like a terrible mom for letting the boys even have this toy. I told them time and time again to pick them up, put them away, so that their sister couldn't get them, as she would choke on them. Here, it happened to my 9 year old.

I have been really thinking about this...how many times have I had a paperclip in my mouth, yes, just in my lips, but I could have inhaled that. I know someone that would suck on pennies because it supposedly took the alcohol smell off her breath, she could have inhaled those pennies. A cap to a pen, an earring or the post...just holding it in your lips while you put the other one in. So, in Jake's defense, it can happen, no matter how old you are.

I'm asking everyone that has these toys to throw them away, unless you are going to watch your child play with them, knowing they are old enough to play on their own.

We decided to not take Jake (AKA Heavy Metal) to the ER, yet. Since he is acting normal, no pain, nothing really, we'll wait a few days and see if he passes it. If nothing, then we'll go get the Xray to see if it is moving along the way it should.

1 poop down...numerous poop squishing to go. Wish us luck ...

0 comments: