Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Fresh Start

Tonight I got to meet Jake's teacher, the one that I had 24 years ago...WOW, I can so remember sitting in her class and listening to her talk. Well, the mother sitting beside me actually had this same teacher 30 years ago, the first year that she taught!! Wow!

I love these 'fresh' starts...I feel so good about his teacher and about him being able to learn and do better this year. His 2nd grade year was the worst, in fact, when he ended 2nd grade, he was still at a 1st grade level. Last year, we had a rough start, but then, it got better, especially after speaking w/the teacher and the principal.

This year, I know it's only 6 days in, but so far so good. I'm actually proud of him. I helped him study the other night (did you know that cows eat 90lbs of food per day?) and was impressed! He sat down for 10 minutes to read 2 pages, the 2 pages I would be quizzing him on. And let me tell you, that boy knew the answers like that!!! I was soooooooooo proud!! I hope this is the beginning of a good thing for him! I couldn't study like that...

He has the other 4th grade teacher as his Math teacher. In fact, both classes (yes, our school is only 2 rooms per grade) have Math w/this one teacher. (Science/Social Studies is taught by his teacher, both classes together) They are trying something new this year (every year it seems like something is new) and are have little groups. A group of 4 or 5 kids will solve a problem together, they will be teaching each other how to do that problem...I don't know about this...Jake in a group w/other kids, to goof off to, isn't a good thing...

0 comments: